I had obviously bought too many peaches at the market last week, not sure what it is, the smell, the colour or the look of them – l can never resit from filling my basket. Once home and they look so gorgeous in a crystal bowl, sitting in the middle of my dining table waiting to be eaten. Yesterday l noticed a few were leaving me, so l decided to do make this little peach tart. It’s very easy and quick to throw together, it makes a lovely dessert served with vanilla ice-cream or a custard cream.
1 tsp baking powder 1/3 cup caster sugar 125g butter
1 tbsp brown sugar pinch salt
5 Peaches, Pears or Nectarines 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cornflour
extra – 1 tsp brown sugar and cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, add sugar.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and work with fingers into the flour mixture (or place intofood processor and pulse until blended).
- Press into an un-greased tart dish. Note , no liquid to be added. Sprinkle with brownsugar.
- Filling – Cut the fruit of choice into slithers and place neatly on top of pastry. Sprinklewith cinnamon and sugar. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Topping – Beat all the ingredients together and pour evenly over the fruit. Sprinkle withextra cinnamon and sugar and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature with ice-cream or cream.