Eat lentils because firstly they are tasty and secondly you reap their health benefits, so liven up your menus and surprise your taste buds with these delicious protein packed black beluga lentils. These little beads resemble caviar, they are rich in protein and fiber, like all varieties of lentils. Unlike beans, the dried lentils don’t require soaking over night and cook up quickly in just 20-25 minutes. They are delicious in a salad or served as a warm main meal, puree cooked lentils in a blender and add spices to make a dip – a great healthy snack for dipping raw vegetables.
If your shopping bill is getting out of hand buying meat, why not make some of your meals meatless. Lentils are not only a cheap source of protein, but are also fat free and rich in a number of essential nutrients, they are a good source of iron & can improve cholesterol.
Organic black beluga lentil salad with roasted vegetables
Ingredients, serves 4
250g organic black lentils
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into chunky cubes
1 cup pumpkin, slithers with skin left on
1 red onion
1/4 cup parmesan shavings
1 handful roquette – garnish
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into batons
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and cracked black pepper
- Cook the lentils in a boiling water for about 20 minutes, do not add salt as this will harden them. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place all the vegetables on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and turmeric, mix with your hands to coat all the veggies. Place in the oven and cook for about 20-25 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the sauce. Mix together………………..
- Add the lentils to a large bowl, add the roasted vegetables and mix together.
- On a large serving dish place the roquette around the edges, pour over the lentils, garnish with parmesan shavings. Serve the sauce on the side.