Hazelnut & Orange Roulade
6 egg whites
1 pinch salt
325g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
150g ground hazelnuts
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp caster sugar
3 oranges, skinless segments
50g dark chocolate melted
25g flaked almonds or chopped hazelnuts
1 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Whip the egg whites and salt with an electric beater until soft peaks form, then add the sugar a tablespoon at a time until you have a firm meringue. This may take 5-7 minutes, then gently add the vinegar, hazelnuts and cornflour.
- Line a Swiss roll tray with baking paper, gently spread the meringue evenly over the tray and bake for 20 minutes or until the meringue is firm and lightly coloured.
- Take from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn the meringue onto a sheet of baking paper, then gently peel off the paper from the bottom of the meringue. Take another large piece of baking paper and cover the meringue, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until firm.
- Cover the meringue evenly with the whipped cream and the orange segments.
- Gently roll the meringue with the help of the baking paper.
- Drizzle with the melted chocolate and sprinkle over the almonds or hazelnuts.
- Place in the fridge until required.
- Sift over icing sugar and serve.