Carrot & ginger cake
250g SR flour
220g brown sugar
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
200ml sunflower oil
200g carrots, grated
1/2 tsp bi carb soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, separated
110g walnuts, crushed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
zest and juice of half an orange
130g mascarpone cheese
130g ricotta cheese
100g icing sugar
zest of half an orange
3 tbsp home made marmalade
walnuts to top
- Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease two 22cm cake tines with parchment paper.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the whites to soft peaks and set aside.
- Mix in a food processor the oil and brown sugar until creamy, add egg yolks one at a time, then slowly add the flour, bi carb and baking powder.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor into a large bowl, mix in the grated carrots, ginger & orange zest.
- Fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon and divide the mixture between the two cake tins.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile make the frosting, mix the mascarpone, ricotta, icing sugar and orange zest together.
- When the cakes are cool, sandwich the halves together with some jam and top the cake with the cheese frosting. Cover the top with walnuts.