Sweet potato, cheddar and chive scones
450g spelt flour
1 tsp himalayan salt
6 tsp baking powder
100g unsalted butter
200g sweet potato, grated
100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 bunch chives, chopped roughly
120ml cold almond milk (or normal if you prefer) 120ml cold water
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Grate in the butter and rub in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Grate in 75g of the cheddar, then add the sweet potato, chives and mustard and stir to combine.
- Pour in the milk and water and stir until it all comes together – don’t over mix or you scones will be tough.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface, flatten to about 3cm rectangle and then cut out as many little scones as possible.
- Place the scones onto a lined baking tray, brush the tops with the beaten egg and top with the last 25g of cheddar.
- Bake for about 14 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve on a platter with butter, a selection of cheese, chutney and roasted vegetables, or simply to accompany a warm winer soup.