Stuffed mushrooms & red organic rice
6 large mushrooms
1 brown onion, chopped finely
1 stick celery, finely chopped
2 tbs olive oil
150g cream cheese
1/2 cup parsley, chopped finely
1 garlic clove, chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
For the rice
1 cup red organic rice
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 leek – white part only, finely chopped
1/2 cup Dill, finely chopped
4 tbs Tamari or soy sauce
3 tbs sunflower seeds
2 tbs olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Take the stems from the mushrooms and finely chop, set aside.
- In a large non stick frying pan, over a medium heat, cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft. Then add the mushroom stems, parsley and celery, cook a further 2 minutes and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- When the mushroom mixture has cooled to room temperature, mix in the cream cheese, season with salt and pepper.
- Take a tablespoon of the cheese mixture and place gently inside each of the mushroom lids. Roll the cheese side into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray, cook for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice to instructions, drain and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, over a medium heat, cook the onions, leek & garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan with, dill and sunflower seeds. Stir in tamari and season to taste.
- Serve the rice onto a large serving plate and add the cooked mushrooms on top, sprinkle with extra dill and parsley.