Lentil, aubergine and feta gratin
400g organic black lentils, cooked as instructions
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
200ml vegetable stock
2 red onions, chopped finely
1 aubergine, sliced into 1cm circles
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 baby spinach leaves, washed
1 pinch chilli flakes
150g Feta cheese, crumbled
1 pot Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup dill, roughly chopped
1/2 cup parsley, roughly chopped
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
Cracked black pepper
1 tbsp flax seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan.
- Place the circles of aubergine on a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook in oven for about 10 mins until cooked, set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large heavy based saucepan, melt 1 tbsp olive oil and the butter over a medium heat. Add the red onion and cook for 3 minutes or until transparent, add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the stock, chilli flakes and canned tomatoes to the onions and bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes until the mixture has reduced by a third. Then gently stir in the herbs, cooked lentils, cream, spinach, yoghurt and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the lentil mixture into a deep ovenproof dish, sprinkle over the feta and place the aubergine on top. Lightly sprinkle over your crushed flaxseed for extra goodness.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
Mozzarella, blue cheese and Cheddar also work well in this recipe.