Sometimes the most nourishing foods are the most simple and easy to make. This soup is a 5 minute wonder, full of flavour and goodness, I call it my bowl of sunshine.
Carrot, ginger and orange soup
2 tbsp unsalted butter
7 large carrots, peeled and chopped roughly
1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped finely
2 large brown onions, peeled, chopped roughly
1 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped finely
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 potato, peeled, chopped roughly
1 orange, zest and 1/4 cup juice
salt and cracked black pepper
- In a large saucepan, over a medium heat, melt the butter, add the onions and garlic, cook for 5 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- Add the carrots, ginger and potato to the pot, cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and let simmer until the carrots are tender.
- Blend the mixture with a soup wand, then add the orange zest and orange juice.
- Season to taste.
- Serve piping hot, garnish with parsley or chopped chives.
Of a lunch time I love to serve my soup with a cheese board, slowly having a slurp of soup followed by a small slither of local cheese.