It’s Sunday morning, l opened my fridge with a sigh, l knew l didn’t want to go down to the valley floor to shop. So instead I took everything from my vegetable draw and let my creative side take over. I thought about flavour, colour, healthiness and making it super quick and easy. This little recipe is great for a simple lunch, a picnic or to place a few fritters into a lunch box to take to school or work.
Carrot, ginger and lime fritters with a tomato salsa.
6 carrots, grated
2 brown onion, chopped finely
1 lime zest
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp flax seeds
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
salt and black cracked pepper
1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
110g Quinoa flour
1/2 cup chopped coriander (or parsley)
Salsa sauce – mix all the below ingredients, season to taste, chill
2 large organic tomatoes, chopped finely
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1/2 lime juice
salt and pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, place the carrot, lime zest, onions, ginger, garlic, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and cumin, mix well and add the quinoa flour.
- In a small bowl beat the two eggs with salt and pepper, add to the carrot & mix well, then add the flax seeds and sunflower seeds.
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat 4 tbsp sunflower oil. Carefully spoon 2 tbsp of mixture per fritter, leaving space and not overcrowding.
- Cook for 3 -5 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen towel.
- The fritters can be served immediately with the salsa sauce and pita bread or eaten cold wrapped in a pita with some Greek yoghurt.