Pumpkin, chestnut and spinach fried rice
200g basmati rice
100g wild organic black rice
2 tbs olive oil
800g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into thin wedges
200g cooked, peeled chestnuts, chopped roughly
4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
100g baby spinach, washed, chopped roughly
1 large handful of parsley, chopped
zest of 1 lemon
1 tbs honey
3 tbs Tamari (or Soy sauce)
salt and black cracked pepper
- Cook both rices in separate saucepans of boiling salted until cooked – the black rice takes longer to cook. Drain and refresh under cold running water, then set them aside to drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the pumpkin wedges, turning, for 6-8 minutes until just soften. Add chestnuts and garlic, cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and rice to the pan and combine ingredients, cook for 8-10 minutes without, stirring, so not to stick on the bottom of the pan.
- Fold through the parsley, lemon zest, honey, Tamari, salt and black cracked pepper.
- Serve warm in a large bow.