Orange, almond & polenta cake
This is an easy and light recipe, that can be used as a dessert or afternoon tea. Best eaten on the day, as it tends to dry out after 12 hours.
250g unsalted butter
4 large free range eggs
250g caster sugar
140g fine grain polenta
50g almond meal
150g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 dash orange blossom essence
zest & juice of 2 oranges
100ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 145C. Line with parchment paper a round cake tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time with 2 tbsp flour, to stop the mixture curdling.
- One the mixture is combined, add the almond meal, the rest of the flour, the baking powder, the essence, polenta, zest and juice. Mix together.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the cake tin, then cook for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven , let cool in the tin on a cake rack.
- Meanwhile to make the glaze, put the orange juice and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- Drizzle the orange glaze over the cake, decorate with some more orange zest.
- Serve with vanilla whipped cream or creme fraiche.