Falafel is a delicious Middle Eastern dish, that can be made from either chickpeas or fava beans. The small fried balls are commonly served in a pita bread, which acts as a pocket and topped with a tahini sauce and pickled vegetables. They are a fantastic lunch snack and are equally as good placed on top of a green salad, sprinkled with fresh herbs.
Falafel balls & tahini sauce
2 large brown onions 1 cup parsley leaves 1/4 tsp chili powder 1/2 cup plain flour
6 garlic cloves
1 cup coriander leaves
2 tsp cumin
2 cups cooked chickpeas, 2 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste , 1/2 cup plain flour
Tahini Sauce Ingredients
1 1/4 cups Greek yoghurt
1/4 cup tahini paste
2 tbsp lemon juice and zest – Mix all ingredients together and place in the fridge
- Add onions, garlic to a food processor, pulse until finely minced. Remove from theblender and set aside.
- To the food processor add the chickpeas, parsley, coriander, salt, chili and cumin andblend lightly (do not blend to a puree).
- Return the onion to food processor, add baking powder and half the flour at a time, sowhen you pulse the mixture forms a small ball and is not sticky.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
- Once cool, scoop small, even spoons to form a ball.
- Heat a large heavy based frying pan with some sunflower oil and cook three minuteseach side. Drain on kitchen towel, season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with pita bread, the tahini sauce and some shredded lettuce