A crunchy & delicious salad, keeping your energy levels up for a hard day skiing or hiking up the mountains. Hugh and l eat this quite often, the wheat has a chewy consistency and mixed with the herbs & vegetables gives a perfect balance of filling your tummy but keeping it light. Don’t be afraid to change this recipe up according to the seasonal produce. Try it with roasted aubergines and tomatoes with mint and crumbled feta on top, winner!
Ingredients – serves 4
1 small pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut in half and sliced thinly
300g Einkorn organic wheat
1 handful roquette leaves
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1/2 cup parsley, chopped finely
100g unsalted cashew nuts
40g Parmesan cheese, grated finely
Salt and cracked black pepper
For the sauce – half cup fresh herbs – coriander & parsley, finely chopped, 3 tbsp cider vinegar, 10 tbsp organic olive oil, 1 tsp dijon mustard, mix together, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Place the pumpkin slices on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Cook for 30 minutes, turning every now and again.
- Bring to the boil 900ml of salted water, cook the einkorn wheat for 30-35 minutes or until tender with a slight crunch in the middle, then drain.
- In a large bowl place the wheat, roquette, grated parmesan, parsley, cashew nuts, salt, pepper and alfalfa sprouts, mix lightly with fingers and place evenly on 4 serving plates.
- Place the pumpkin on top and garnish with dressing and extra grated parmesan.