Deliciously moist chocolate cake
2 cups plain flour
2 cups caster sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bi-carb soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp instant coffee, mixed with 1 cup boiling water
1 cup butter milk
2 large free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup whipped cream
2 tbsp blackcurrant jam
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbsp coco powder
3 tbsp cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Prepare two round cake tins with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients together and combine well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, essence, eggs and oil. Add to the dry mixture and combine well, adding lastly the coffee and boiling water. Combine well.
- Evenly pour the mixture between the two cake tins and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the cake, comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool on a cake rack.
- To make the icing, mix all the ingredients together, you may need a little more cream, but only add a little at a time, until you have a smooth spreadable consistency.
- Take the cakes from the cake tins, spread a jam on oner of the cakes, top with whipped cream, sandwich the other cake on top and spread with the icing.