This is an eggless recipe, l used a home made apple puree to replace the 2 eggs. It’s rich, delicious, the beetroot keeps it moist and it stores well in an air tight container for up to a week. Now the kids have gone back to school, this is a good lunch box filler which will keep them happy, give enough good energy to keep them alert and running around the school yard.
140g Self raising flour, 80g Dark chocolate, 75g unsalted butter, 1 large beetroot cooked, 100g caster sugar, 150g apple puree, 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 190C and line a square cake tin with baking paper.
- Puree the beetroot in a food processor.
- Melt the chocolate with the butter over a pan of simmering water so as not to burn the chocolate, then add caster sugar and mix well.
- Place the flour, apple puree & cocoa in the food processor with the beetroot, mix well. Pour in the chocolate and butter and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cooked to touch.
- Let cool at room temperature and drizzle with extra melted chocolate of flaked almonds. Cut into small squares and enjoy each mouthful