Candied orange sticks are such a fancy treat after a wonderful meal over the festive season. They also make beautiful Christmas gifts, wrapped in cellophane with a big ribbon. l like to make batches of these early December, using a mixture of lemon, grapefruit and orange peel, white and milk chocolate also makes a change from the dark.
4 organic oranges 700ml water
380g sugar mixed with 700ml water
200g dark chocolate
- Wash and dry the oranges, with a sharp knife remove the peel in quarters, with the attached pith. Cut into thin slices about 3-5 mm wide x 5 cm length.
- Place the orange sticks into a large saucepan and cover with 5 cups cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer 5 minutes, drain and repeat the process, dry the orange sticks.
- In a medium saucepan place 700ml of water with 380g sugar and bring to the boil, reduce heat and add the orange sticks. Cook over a medium heat for 1 1/2 hours or until transparent in colour.
- Remove the orange sticks and drain on a wire rack. Leave overnight to dry .
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Dip the orange sticks inthe melted chocolate and place on a sheet of baking paper to dry.
Note – Before dipping, the sticks will keep 3-4 months, once they have their chocolate coating, they are best eaten before 3 weeks. Store in an air tight container.